The demand for private aviation has recently seen a massive surge in demand as people flock to private planes to avoid crowded commercial flights. Unfortunately, the cost of chartering a flight or owning a plane can be high. However, there are many ways to cut costs and save money with private aviation.
Private Charter Flights
Chartering a private jet comes with many benefits that bypass common inconveniences passengers encounter with commercial flights. When chartering a private flight, passengers can enjoy:
- No TSA checks: As long as the passenger’s destination doesn’t take them to certain international airports, TSA will not have to be screened.
- No other passengers: With a privately chartered flight, people only travel with their party. This is a huge benefit during a time when social distancing is a priority.
- Baggage is safer and has no limitations: As long as the baggage doesn’t exceed the jet’s weight capacity, passengers don’t need to worry about luggage restrictions. They also don’t have to check their baggage or worry about mishandling by baggage claim attendants.
- Pets are welcome: Traveling via aircraft can be extremely stressful for animals. Separating a pet from its owner and putting the animal in baggage can be even more stressful. Thankfully, most private jets allow pets to travel with their owner in the cabin.
- Customizable menu: Passengers can make arrangements before the flight to customize what they prefer to eat. Extra fees may apply.
- Access to remote locations: A smaller jet means it can land on a smaller runway. Being able to access smaller airports gives private jets the ability to take passengers to more remote locations.
The list of pros for chartering a private jet is a lot longer than the cons. However, while the list of cons is short, they are important.
- Expensive: All of those above-listed benefits come at a price. However, in some cases, chartering a private jet can be more affordable than the cost of first-class tickets for an entire family on a commercial flight.
- Strict Cancellation and Refund Policies: Booking a charter flight may result in long contracts, and strict cancellation processes. After all, this flight is meant for the client and with it comes a larger responsibility. Clients are typically required to pay a fee for canceled flights and can be denied a refund in certain circumstances.
Own a Private Jet
Owning a private jet makes traveling very easy and luxurious. However, there are some significant costs involved with owning a private jet.
First of all, the initial acquisition costs can be very high. After the aircraft is acquired, there are monthly fees that can quickly add up. To keep up with all the requirements and fees, an owner can benefit from hiring a private jet management firm. Private jet costs include the following fees:
- Hanger fees
- Maintenance fees
- Certification fees
- Inspection Fees
- Fuel: This can end up being the most considerable expense depending on what the fuel prices are.
- Crew: Flight crew and maintenance technicians.
In addition to the expense, private jet owners must follow the FAA’s (Federal Aviation Administration) rules and guidelines, known as Part 91.
Part 91 Flights
Part 91 means the person owns the aircraft and can fly it if they have a license or hire a pilot to fly them. The pilot is fully responsible for the aircraft under Part 91 rules.
Off-set Private Jet Costs
Maintaining a private jet doesn’t have to break the bank. Many people capitalize on their aircraft investment and offset the expense of maintaining it by utilizing Part 135 rules.
Part 135 Flights
Part 135 flights are like aircraft taxis. People who own a private jet can utilize a charter management company and allow their aircraft for charters. This helps offset the cost of maintaining the plane because the owner keeps a portion of the money from the private charter.
Unlike Part 91, Part 135 has stricter requirements for flight. Requirements to utilize Part 135 include:
- Must land on longer runways.
- Extra pilot training that includes professionalism and consumer safety.
- Increased aircraft safety standards.
- Increased maintenance standards.
Benefits of Using Haskin Aviation
At Haskin Aviation, we pride ourselves on offering luxurious air travel. We offer a wide range of services and strive to meet each of our client’s unique needs.
We can provide customized chartered flights for any individual or group. In addition, for those looking to acquire a personal aircraft, our team can help you find a seller with our aircraft brokerage services.
Additional services include private aircraft management, concierge services, and pilot services. For more information, contact one of our knowledgeable professionals today.